PlatformIO Open Source September Updates
New boards and devkits, Support for the latest Zephyr RTOS 3.4, Updates for ST STM32, Renesas RA and mbed-enabled dev-platforms
Welcome to the September 2023 updates of PlatformIO Open Source professional collaborative platform for embedded development.
This month we received a lot of helpful feedback from our community, which let us identify the most important parts of our OSS ecosystem that required our attention, so there are plenty of updates pushed in this month that we hope you will like.
During September, we added support for the latest Zephyr framework and rolled out updates for ST STM32, Renesas RA, Nordic nRF52 and Raspberry Pico development platforms, fixed a lot of issues. Some of the key highlights include:
- Zephyr RTOS v3.4
- ST STM32 dev-platform v17.0
- Renesas RA dev-platform v1.2
- Arduino Core for mbed-enabled devices v4.0.6
Zephyr RTOS v3.4
We’re happy to announce updated support for the latest release v3.4.0 of Zephyr Project - a scalable real-time operating system (RTOS) supporting multiple hardware architectures, optimized for resource-constrained devices, and built with safety and security in mind.
The renewed integration brings enhanced compatibility and faster performance, but currently focuses only on two platforms – ST STM32 and NXP iMXRT. Stay tuned as we’re actively exploring opportunities to expand to more platforms in the future.
Related resources for Zephyr framework:
- Release notes for v3.4.0
- Documentation for Zephyr framework
- Supported development platforms
- Supported boards
ST STM32 dev-platform v17.0
The new release of the ST STM32 v17.0 comes with support for the latest Zephyr and Arduino cores, updated toolchain packages and several minor improvements:
- New boards:
- Updated Zephyr to the latest v3.4.0 (release notes)
- Updated STM32 Arduino Core to the latest v2.6.0 (release notes)
- Updated Arduino-mbed core to v4.0.6 (release notes)
- Updated toolchain packages to v12.3.1 for Arduino integration (#720)
- Fixed flash memory size for
- Minor fixes and improvements (#695, #715, #722, #728)
Related resources for the ST STM32 dev-platform:
Renesas RA dev-platform v1.2
The new release of the Renesas RA dev-platform v1.2.0 brings support for the latest Arduino core and several bugfixes:
- Updated Arduino core to v1.0.4 (release notes)
- Added missing ARCH macro for Uno boards (#11)
- Fixed broken linker flag for FPU (#13)
- Fixed J-Link device name for Portenta C33 (#14)
Related resources for the Renesas RA dev-platform:
Arduino Core for mbed-enabled devices v4.0.6
The ST STM32, Nordic nRF52 and Raspberry Pi RP2040 dev-platforms have been updated to support the latest Arduino Core for mbed-enabled devices v4.0.6. According to the release notes, v4.0.6 brings a lot of bugfixes and improvements in the core and accompanying libraries.