PlatformIO Open Source December Updates
PlatformIO IDE 3.0 Preview for Visual Studio Code, PlatformIO Core bugfix release, Updated Arduino core v2.0.6 for Espressif32
Welcome to the December 2022 updates of PlatformIO Open Source professional collaborative platform for embedded development. This month we received a lot of helpful feedback from our community, which let us identify the most important parts of our OSS ecosystem that required our attention, so there are plenty of updates pushed in this month that we hope you will like.
During December, we released a pre-relase version of PlatformIO IDE 3.0 for Visual Studio Code, bugfix release for PlatformIO Core, added support for the latest Arduino ESP32 core v2.0.6, fixed a lot of issues. Some of the key highlights include:
- PlatformIO IDE 3.0 Preview for Visual Studio Code
- PlatformIO Core 6.1.5
- Espressif32 dev-platform v5.3
- Stay in touch with us
PlatformIO IDE 3.0 Preview for Visual Studio Code
We are pleased to announce a pre-release of PlatformIO IDE 3.0 for Visual Studio Code with significant improvements to boost developer effectiveness. The major enhancements include the following:
- New streamlined onboarding with comprehensive walkthroughs
- Renovated project management with intellisense for project configuration files
- Native integration of the PlatformIO Unit Testing solution and VSCode Testing UI.
Take a look at the detailed overview of the new features and improvements on the community forum.
PlatformIO Core 6.1.5
PlatformIO Core is the heart of the whole PlatformIO ecosystem and we are excited to announce the next v6.1.5 release with lots of great improvements and bugfixes:
- Added a new enable_proxy_strict_ssl setting to disable the proxy server certificate verification (issue #4432)
- Documented PlatformIO Core Proxy Configuration
- Speeded up device port finder by avoiding loading board HWIDs from development platforms
- Improved caching of build metadata in debug mode
- Fixed an issue when pio pkg install --storage-dir command requires PlatformIO project (issue #4410)
See Release Notes for more detailed information and use pio upgrade command to update to the latest version.
Espressif32 dev-platform v5.3
The new release of the Espressif 32 dev-platform brings support for the latest Arduino Core, new boards and dev-kits, several minor fixes and improvements:
- Added new boards:
- Added support for Arduino v2.0.6 (release notes)
- Updated toolchains to v8.4.0r2-patch5
- Updated ULP toolchain to v2.35
- Updated esptoolpy to v4.4.0 (release notes)
- Updated ESP-IDF to v4.4.3 (release notes)
- Fixed HWID values the for the
- Minor fixes and improvements (#960)
See Release Notes for more detailed information.
Related resources for the Espressif32 dev-platform:
Stay in touch with us
Stay tuned to this blog or follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @PlatformIO_Org to keep up to date with the latest news, articles and tips!